I’ve been making what I call a Christmas mix — that is, not holiday songs but a mix made at the holidays — since 1997; first they were tapes, then for a few years cds, and finally, in the digital age, the last seven years have been downloadable zip files, and this year is no exception. These are songs — frequently but not necessarily released in 2012 — that meant something to me this year, for various reasons, and they are for you. Consider it a list of my favorite songs of this year, if that helps. The whole shebang is available as a zip file [here] (135MB, .zip).
Happy holidays, happy 2012, happy these are great songs — whatever floats your boat. This is from me to you. 2012 was a bad year with great moments, and here’s hoping that 2013 is better.
If you creep about lurking and you only comment on one post all year, this would be a good one. I’m just sayin’. ♥
Okay, link should be working now. Let me know if it doesn’t.
- “Why” – Josh Ritter: why spend your only life waiting / to do what you know you can do?
- “I Want My Seven Years Back” – Chelsea Crowell: you can retell your same old story / and maybe some new girl won’t think it’s lame
- “I Don’t Mind” – Defeater: i will beg and steal and borrow / to keep you safe your whole life
- “Nothing’s Gonna Change The Way You Feel About Me Now” – Justin Townes Earle: i know it’s wrong but i’ve got to admit / i said some things that i shouldn’t have said
- “If I Needed You” (Townes Van Zandt) – Mumford & Sons: if i needed you would you come to me / would you come to me, for to ease my pain?
- “Giving Up Redheads” – Leland Sundries: well that girl didn’t even catch my eye, boys, until she dyed her hair
- “Flowers In Your Hair” – The Lumineers: it takes a man to live / it takes a woman to make him compromise
- “Pick Me Up” – Air Traffic Controller: have a seat, grab a drink / try not to give a fuck what anybody thinks
- “Working Titles” – Damien Jurado: you wrote about me on every new record / i’ll show up in the title of your song / i only hope that somebody requests it
- “That Old Black Hole” – Dr. Dog: i was not prepared to lose it all the moment that i found it
- “King of the World” – First Aid Kit: well i’m nobody’s baby / i’m everybody’s girl / i’m the queen of nothing / i’m the king of the world
- “Smothered In Hugs” (Guided By Voices) – Cuff The Duke: i’m gonna leave with you / you can teach me all you know
- “The Happy Song” – Alex Chilton: sing us a happy little song and we can do the rest
- “Cinder Blocks” – Onward, Soldiers: where have you been / come back to Carolina
- “Nice Things” – The Menzingers: are you happy, are you sane, are you rich, are you thin?
- “Nothing Is Anything (Without You)” – Wintersleep: if it was easier to leave it alone / why did you come here?
- “Never Have To Fall In Love Again” – Eleni Mandell: but if you have to gamble on a better life than ramble / and i’ll start by falling out of love with you.
- “Isn’t This World Enough??” – Admiral Fallow: from your first exhale to your very last breath / isn’t this world enough?
- “Still Not Home” – Tift Merritt: i try so hard, but i’m still not home
- “Someone You Used To Know” – Wylie Hunter & the Cazadores: you can say that’s the voice of someone you used to know
10 Comments Add yours
Snagged it. Thanks for the thoughtful selections.
Thanks, Aggie. I think I commented on the one last year, ha. Nice choices, and excited about the GVB cover. Rock on. 🙂
I hope you dig it! It was one of my favorite covers of this year (and one of my favorite GVB songs, hee).
Thanks! I love listening to your mixes – I have an Aggie playlist. 🙂
I hope you’re enjoying it down there in your weird summer weather! ❤
I don’t crawl about lurking (first time here, via songsfortheday), but I thought I’d leave a comment anyway. I’ve just downloaded this beautiful-looking mix and I love that you put quotes with the songs – makes it all the more interesting and enticing!
I hope you enjoy listening! I am definitely a “lyrics first” sort of listener, so I can’t help but focus on them; glad it appeals to someone besides me. 🙂
… I love lyrics – so yeah, you’re not alone. 😉