I’m about to embark on another crazy run of shows, and there’s always a million things in the Triangle that I’m missing, but what follows are shows I think are too good to miss:
- The Love Language w/ the Old Ceremony, Haw River Ballroom in Saxapahaw, NC, Friday May 27. The grand opening of Saxapahaw’s lovely new 700 person venue. I’m utterly smitten by the community that’s being built out there, and I haven’t seen the Love Language in … a year, at least. $15/$17, 9PM.
- Red Collar w/ American Aquarium & Pullman Strike, the Casbah, Durham, NC, Saturday May 28. Red Collar’s first hometown show in a while, this is bound to be a barnburner (and sell out, so buy your tickets now). $8/$10, 9PM.
- The Booze w/ the Biters & Richard Bacchus and the Luckiest Girls, Local 506, Chapel Hill, NC, Sunday May 29. I’ve been looking forward to this show, with the Booze’s vintage rock and roll and the Biters’ more modern take and Richard’s fiercely unclassifiable version, since it went on the 506’s schedule. It’s going to rock. $8, 9PM.
- Arliss Nancy w/ the Mercators & Of Whiskey and Blood, Motorco Music Hall, Durham, NC, Monday May 30. I like that Scotty books early shows on weeknights, because I am old and cranky. $5, 7PM.
- On Tuesday I’m gonna sleep. And hang out with the Cowboy. Unless the Nightlight has something awesome and cheap.
- Okkervil River w/ Titus Andronicus & Future Islands, Cat’s Cradle, Carrboro, NC, Wednesday June 1. I love Okkervil River so much it hurts my heart, and I love Amy Klein of Titus Andronicus nearly that much. This show is SOLD OUT but a hipster might sell you a priced up ticket in the Cradle parking lot.
- Holy Ghost Tent Revival w/ Dirty Bourbon River Show & the Woes, Kings Barcade, Raleigh, NC, Thursday June 2. Going to this one more for the openers than Holy Ghost, but they’re never a bad time, of course, and I adore them as humans. $6/$8, 9:30PM.
- Nashville Pussy w/ the Koffin Kats & Terry Anderson and the Olympic Ass-Kicking Team, Cat’s Cradle, Carrboro, NC, Friday June 3. Pam-endorsed psychobilly — I’m going for the Koffin Kats — with a lead singer/upright bassist who has steel plates bolted to his bass so he can climb it. SOLD. $15/$18, 9PM.
- Also Friday June 3 is Ash’s show opening at Amplified Art in Raleigh; J Kutchma is playing a solo set at 10PM. I don’t know if I can do both, but if you aren’t into psychobilly, you should be in Raleigh.
- There are about 14 things to do on Saturday June 4, but I’m as yet undecided. Something! I will do something!
- Bowerbirds w/ Mount Moriah, Motorco Music Hall, Durham, NC, Sunday June 5. A rarer these days hometown show for Bowerbirds with recent local darlings Mount Moriah. $8/$10, 9PM.
If none of this appeals to you, the ACC baseball tournament is going on right now at the DBAP; three games a day today and tomorrow, and the championship at 4PM on Sunday. UNC plays UVa at 7PM on Saturday and shep. and I will be there before the Casbah show, and I’m betting it’ll be another good one.
I will, as always, sleep when I’m dead.
One Comment Add yours
oh man, i didn’t realize okkervil river was out with titus andronicus. that’s going to be so good. amy wasn’t with them (an injury of some kind, i believe) when i saw them open for the pogues, but goddamn, they put on a good set. (even if my report WAS “meanwhile, titus andronicus was playing some songs.” THEY WERE GOOD SONGS.) and they’ll be good to shoot.