(Apologies if you see this twice; it won’t happen often.)
I’ve been making what I call a Christmas mix — that is, not holiday songs but a mix made at the holidays — since 1997; first they were tapes, then for a few years cds, and finally, in the digital age, the last five years have been downloadable zip files, and this year is no exception. These are songs — not primarily but not necessarily released in 2009 — that meant something to me this year, for various reasons, and they are for you. The whole shebang is available as a zip file [here] (90MB, .zip).
Happy holidays, happy 2009, happy music sharing — whatever floats your boat. This is from me to you. 2009 was basically a year of one step forward, two enormous punches in the face back, but despite all that, I was pretty fucking happy. So.
- [The Duke & the King — “If You Ever Get Famous”] if you ever get famous, don’t forget about me
- [AA Bondy — “Among The Pines”] and every time i leave the south/a word it stumbles from my mouth/amen, amen
- [Fall Out Boy — “Disloyal Order Of Water Buffaloes”] so boycott love/detox just to retox
- [Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit — “Good”] i can’t make myself be good/i wish i could
- [The Whitlams — “I Was Alive”] the night i met you, you were a fucking disgrace/tripping over people, falling flat on your face/i thought i’d dance with you ‘cause you wouldn’t remember/a year ago now yeah that was the end of december
- [The Old Ceremony — “Til My Voice Is Gone”] and i will sing my tune until my voice is gone
- [Frightened Rabbit — “My Backwards Walk”] i’m working on my faults and cracks/filling in the blanks and gaps/and when i write them out they don’t make sense/i need you to pencil in the rest
- [Great Lake Swimmers — “Still”] i’m still loaded and waiting with anticipation to fly/i’m still studying the patterns in the night sky
- [Sea Wolf — “I Made A Resolution”] well i woke up this morning/and i made a resolution/i said “never going to sing another sad song again.”
- [Micah Schnabel — “Throwing Rocks At the Sun”] i’d like to stay until your party is over/til the drinks and the girls are all done/but i stayed up too late in every town and every state/and i’ve thrown all my rocks at the sun
- [M. Ward — “Stars Of Leo”] so i tried to surround myself with real love/you know, the kind that make them wheels go ’round/i get so low i need a little pick-me-up/i get so high i need a bring-me-down
- [Lost In The Trees — “Love On My Side”] i got love songs, i got songs that make you cry
- [the Avett Brothers — “Kick Drum Heart”] my my heart like a kick drum
- [Red Collar — “Used Guitars”] i used to reach for stars/now i sell these used guitars
- [Jones Street Station — “Front Door”] leave the front door ’cause i’m comin’ over with stories to tell
- [John Paul Keith & the One Four Fives — “Rock And Roll Will Break Your Heart”] but rock and roll will break your heart
- [Slobberbone — “Back”] when i find my way back, no one will deny/how much i care for them and how hard that i’ve tried/when i find my way back, you will know it by and by/that all the hype was justified
MP3s are for sampling purposes only; if you enjoy what you hear, please support the artists by purchasing their music. Files are available for a limited time only. If you represent an artist or a label and would prefer that I remove a link to an mp3, please email me at asdonkar at gmail dot com and I will immediately remove the file.